Saturday, June 26, 2010

Happe



From Bashung's last Olympia concert, 2008

Words: Alain Bashung and Jean Fauque
Music: Alain Bashung


Tu vois ce convoi
You see this funeral procession
Qui s’ébranle
That's shaken
Non tu vois pas
No you don't see
Tu n’es pas dans l’angle
You're not in the angle
Pas dans le triangle
Not in the triangle
Comme quand tu faisais du zèle
Like when you acted with zeal
Comme quand j’te volais dans les plumes
Like when I flew at you
Entre les dunes
Between the dunes
Par la porte entrebâillée
Through the half-opened door
Je te vois rêver
I see you dreaming
A des ébats qui me blessent
Of the frolicking that wounds me
A des ébats qui ne cessent
Of the frolicking that never stops
Peu à peu tout me happe
Little by little everything snags me
Je me dérobe je me détache
I'm disrobed I'm detached
Sans laisser d’auréole
Without leaving a stain (halo)
Les cymbales les symboles
The cymbals the symbols
Collent
Stick
On se rappelle
We're recalled
On se racole
We're touted
Peu à peu tout me happe
Little by little everything snags me

Les vents de l’orgueil 
The winds of pride
Peu apaisés
Little appeased
Peu apaisés
Little appeased
Une poussière dans l’œil
A bit of dust in the eye
Et le monde entier soudain se trouble
And the entire world is suddenly blurry
Comme quand tu faisais du zèle 
Like when you acted with zeal
Comme quand j’te volais dans les plumes
Like when I flew at you
Entre les dunes
Between the dunes
Par la porte entrebaîllée
Through the half-opened door
Je te vois pleurer
I see you crying
Des romans-fleuves asséchés
From the dried-up historical novels (direct translation: novels-rivers)
Où jadis on nageait
We once swam in

Peu à peu tout me happe
Little by little everything snags me
Je me dérobe je me détache

I'm disrobed I'm detached
Sans laisser d’auréole

Without leaving a stain
Les cymbales les symboles

The cymbals the symbols
Collent

Stick
On se rappelle

We're recalled
On se racole
We're touted
Peu à peu tout me happe

Little by little everything snags me

Tu vois ce convoi
You see this funeral procession
Qui s’ébranle
That's shaken
Non tu vois pas
No you don't see

2 comments:

Arnaud C. said...

What a good song!!!

i'm french and i like bashung so much. i discovered this blog this month, it's great. It's hard to get the meaning of bashung's songs sometimes, even in french, but you do a very good job, so thank you laura!

For people who can understand French and like alain bashung, there is currently a good program broadcasted on the radio this summer in Europe (and available online). it's about his life and career and divided into 10 parts.
More info here:

http://www.radiosfrancophones.org/coproductions-evenementielles-detail.php?copro=87

Cheers
arnaud

Moineau En France said...

a great song! thanks for your words, arnaud; words mean a lot. i'm following this wonderful series, broadcasting it far and wide on facebook, even translating the program notes. the first program was heartbreaking! but one thing we learn: bashung was very human. we never doubted it but we've got more evidence now... :>>))

what an enormous fait accomplit (bashung, that is...) our love and his music go on... bisous et merci encore. ~laura xoxoxoxoox